Sumandeep Vidyapeeth Deemed to be University established the Department of Research and Innovation (DRI) to promote research and innovation activities amongst the faculty and students. It works in consultation with Research Advisory Board (RAB) and subsequently with various committees like Constituent Institute Research Committee (CIRC), Research Grant, Consultancy and Collaboration Committee, Sumandeep Vidyapeeth Institution Ethics Committee, Sumandeep Vidyapeeth Institution Animal Ethics Committee, Intellectual Property Right Committee (IPR), Academic Integrity Panels (AIPs) and Clinical Trial Committee. The implementation of research policy, stimulation of innovation and strengthening of doctoral and post doctoral research are the key goals of the DRI. The Department also facilitates the overall research progress of the Institution under various schemes, faculty engagement and research orientation programmes.
- To create research culture and atmosphere for high impact, socially relevant and intra / inter-disciplinary, collaborative research
- To enhance high quality in research & innovation
- To maintain integrity, quality and ethics in clinical and preclinical research
- To assimilate teaching and research through translational and instructional research in order to convert research bench to bedside.
- To motivate creativity amongst the faculty and students for performing research to the level of claiming Intellectual property (IP).
- To be the Centre of Excellence in Health Education, Health Care Services & Innovation.
- To develop Health Care Professionals of Global Competence.
- To be the Center of Excellence in the area of Evidence Based Education and Healthcare
- To provide state of art Infrastructure and human resource of higher credentials for Research, Hospital services, Teaching – Learning and Administration.
- To contribute towards Nation building by creating intellectually and technically proficient Health Care professionals who are innovative scholars, inspiring leaders and contributing citizens.
- To execute High Quality and Internationally acclaimed academic and research programs in Health Sciences.
- To augment the partnerships between Industries, Community and Institute for collective endeavor towards societal development and establishment of need based program.
- The Scientific and Industrial Research Organization (SIRO), Department of Scientific and Industrial Research (DSIR), Ministry of Science & Technology, Govt. of India; has recognized the Institution through:
- Vide letter no. F/No. 11/678/2015 –TU-V dated 11th April 2016, Valid from 22nd March 2016 up to 31st March 2018.
- Vide letter no. F/No. 11/678/2015 –TU-V dated 4th April 2018, Valid up to 31st March 2021.
- The Institutional Ethics Committee of the Institution is registered with Central Drugs Standard Control Organization, DGHS, Government of India, through vide registration no. ECR/152/Inst/GJ/2013/RR-19, dated13th September 2019; valid from 20th April 2019 to 19th April 2024.
- The Institutional Ethics Committee of the Institution, is accredited by National Accreditation Board for Hospitals and Healthcare providers (NABH), through vide certificate number EC-CT-2019-0079; valid from 20th February 2019 to 19th February 2022.
- The Institutional Animal Ethics Committee of Sumandeep Vidyapeeth Deemed to be University, is registered with the ‘Committee for the Purpose of Control and Supervision of Experiments on Animals (CPCSEA)’, New Delhi; at multiple times, initiating from 30-06-2006. Recently, the validity of registration is extended for Five years from 12th June 2018 to 11th June 2023; with the registration number: 947/PO/ReRc/S/06/CPCSEA.
- The Institution has established ‘Institutional Innovation Council’ under the aegis of Innovation Cell, Ministry of HRD, Government of India, on 21st November 2018.
- Dhiraj Hospital, a constituent unit of Sumandeep Vidyapeeth Deemed to be University is recognized as a designated ‘COVID19 Hospital’ by Government of Gujarat, from 22.03.2020.
- The Institution is recognized as a Centre for ‘Plasma Therapy’ by Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) through an email dated 15.05.2020.
- Dhiraj Hospital, a constituent unit of Sumandeep Vidyapeeth Deemed to be University is recognized as ‘Organ and Tissue Retrieval Hospital (OTRH)’by the Institute of Kidney Diseases and Research Centre, Civil Hospital Compound, Asarwa, Ahmedabad, through vide letter no. SOTTO/OTRH/335/2020 dated 12.03.2020.
- Molecular Lab, Dhiraj Hospital, Sumandeep Vidyapeeth accredited by National Accreditation Board for Testing and Calibration laboratories (NABL)with standard ISO 15189:2012 through certificate number MC-3392; valid from 18th May 2020 to 17th May 2022.
- The Institution was approved to carry out RT-PCT based testing for Cocid-19 by Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) through AIIMS, Jodhpur vide letter no. 644/AIIMS/JDH/Covid(Test)/2020 dated 19th May 2020.
- Establishment of the Bioethics Unit of Indian Program of the UNESCO Chair and of the International Bioethics Network of the UNESCO Chair in Bioethics at: Sumandeep Vidyapeeth, an Institution Deemed to be University, Pipariya, Vadodara, Gujarat dated 6th February 2019.
- The institution was selected by Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) for Phase II PLACID trial on 17th July 2020.
- Dhiraj Blood Bank, Dhiraj Hospital was approved by Food and Drugs Control Administration (FCDA) for Plasma Aphaeresis through vide letter no. FCDA/Blood Bank/Aphere/2018/14507 dated 7th February 2018.
- Dhiraj Blood Bank, Dhiraj Hospital was approved by Food and Drugs Control Administration (FCDA) for Plasma Aphaeresis through vide letter no. FCDA/Blood Bank/Dhiraj/2020/40084-86/B1 dated 11th May 2020.
- Clinical trails
- Biomedical research
- Molecular pharmacological research
- Research on infectious diseases
- Research on metabolic diseases
- Research on oral pre-cancer & other cancer
- Research on dental materials and oral health care.
- Research on targeted drug delivery
- Preclinical studies and drug discovery
- Analytical method development of new drug molecules
- Herbal technology
Research Thrust Areas
- Sickle cell and its trait analysis in Gujarat region
- Communicable dieses –diarrhea, viral infection and malaria
- Biomaterials and medical devices
- Life style disorder and metabolic diseases
- Oral Pre-cancer and cancer
- Dental Caries
- Psychosocial determinants of oral health
- Digital dentistry
- Oral health care
- Regenerative dentistry
- Salivary biomarkers for assessment of cervical lymph node metastasis
- Proteomics and Genomics in potentially malignant lesions in oral cavity (Oral leukoplakia, Oral sub mucous fibrosis, Oral Lichen Planus) and oral malignancy
- Novel drug delivery systems
- Drug design
- Pharmacological screening of herbal drugs
- Computation biology
- Structured physiotherapy and geriatric patients
Research is a multi-facet task to be conducted by researchers and faculty of different levels and require inputs and encouragement from all. Various encouragement policies have been framed and implemented in order to provide impetus to research activities such as interdisciplinary research projects and their ethical approvals, sprouting of new research ideas with improved quality (novelty, impact on society), publications, conference proceedings, awareness of intellectual property, plagiarism check, etc.
To have all the possible ways to foster such activities in all six institutes, Institution has constituted various committees with respective objectives and tasks, as follows:
- Research Advisory Board (RAB)
- Constituent Institute Research Committee (CIRC)
- Research Grant ,Consultancy and Collaboration Committee
- Sumandeep Vidyapeeth Institution Ethics Committee
- Sumandeep Vidyapeeth Institution Animal Ethics Committee
- Intellectual Property Right Committee (IPR)
- Academic Integrity Panels (AIPs)
- Research Awards and Accolades Committee
- Sumandeep Vidyapeeth Incubation and Innovation committee
- Institutions Innovation Council
- Clinical Trail Committee
1. Research Advisory Board (RAB):
- The main objective of RAB is development and planning for new research policies through Research Cell, with consideration of existing policies.
- Regular guidance and suggestions for development of suitable mechanism for smooth implementation of research activities.
- Guidance to Research Cell for upgrading new research avenues for high end interdisciplinary research projects.
Research Advisory board is constituted with 8-10 internal as well as eminent external experts members. Vice chancellor of SVDU shall be the Chairman and Director Research shall be the member secretary of this board.
2. Constituent Institute Research Committee (CIRC):
CIRC has been constituted in each institute which is chaired by the head of the respective institute while HoDs / nominated faculty are members of the committee, with the objectives of-
- Receiving all research related feedback from the departments of their institute and communicate them to Research Cell.
- It provides the platform to each faculty to share all his/her views and suggestions (related to research).
- All IRCs are scheduled to conduct their meeting on quarterly basis and shall communicate the minutes to Research Cell.
Composition of Institutional Research Committee (CIRC) of all six institutes:
- Institutional Research Committee consists of One Chairperson, One member Secretary and other selected member(s).
- Head of each institute will be the Chairperson of respective institution‘s Institutional Research Committee. Member Secretary and other Member(s) will be selected by the Chairperson of IRR.
3. Research Grant, Consultancy and Collaboration Committee:
To provide directions and guidelines for SV funded research proposals and their financial support and other financial matters such as budget and research incentives
Table 1: Composition of Research Grant & Funding Committee
|2||Director, Research Cell||Member|
|3||Dy. Director, Research Cell||Member|
|5||Chief Finance Officer||Member|
4. Sumandeep Vidyapeeth Institutional Ethics Committee (SVIEC):
- To evaluate all research proposals received from students and staff of respected institution.
- To discuss about methods and ethical aspects of research proposal under SVIEC guidelines.
- SVIEC classify the research projects under minimal risk and higher risk on ethical aspect of the subjects.
Table 2: Composition of SVIEC
Outside the Institute
|2||Basic Medical Scientist||Member|
|6||Lay Person from Community||Member|
5. Human Research Review Panel (HRRP) and its objectives:
- To help the researchers to understand the ethical aspects of the research at institutional level
- To receive the research proposal from the researchers of the respective institute and communicate them to SVIEC when needed
- To collect regular ethical reports of ongoing project & a completion report form researcher and submit the same to SVIEC for the update
- HRRP Constitution: HRRP consists of One Chairperson, One Coordinator and other nominated member(s).
- Head of each institute will be the Chairperson of respective institution‘s HRRP. Coordinator and other Member(s) will be selected by the Chairperson of HRRP.
6. Sumandeep Vidyapeeth Institutional Animal Ethics Committee (SVIAEC):
IAEC has been constituted under the purview of Department of Pharmacology, SBKSMI & RC, SVDU, with the objectives of-
- To review and approve all type of research proposals involving small animal experimentation before the initiating the study. In case of research involved higher animals, the IAEC will forward its recommendation to the CPCSEA, New Delhi, for its approval
- To ensure that animal are not subjected to unnecessary pain or suffering before, during and after the performance of experiments on them
- To monitor the research throughout the study and after completion of the study through periodic reports and visit to animal house and laboratory where experiments are conducted.
IAEC will also participate in –
- Monitor and inspect the housing of animals of breeders/establishments to ensure that it is as per specified standards,
- Regulate experiments on animals as per stipulated conditions and standards,
- Ensure that animals which in course of the experiments are so injured that their recovery would involve serious sufferings are euthanized as per specified norms,
- Ensure the minimum exploration of animals for experiments, wherever possible IAEC also propagate the principles of 3R‘, i.e. Reduce, Refine & Replace the use of animals in experiments,
- Ensure that experiments on larger animals are avoided when it is possible to achieve the same results by experiments upon small animals like guinea-pigs, rabbits, mice, rats etc.,
- Ensure that required records are maintained with respect to experiments performed on animals,
- Ensure that as far as possible experiments are not performed merely for the purpose of acquiring manual skill,
- Ensure that animals intended for the performance of experiments are properly looked after both before and after experiments.
Table 4: Composition of SVIAEC
Head of the Institute
|2||Main Nominee of CPCSEA||Main Nominee of CPCSEA|
|3||Link Nominee of CPCSEA||Link Nominee of CPCSEA|
|4||Scientist from outside the Institute||Member|
|5||Non Scientific socially aware member||Member|
|9||Scientist in-charge of animal facility||Member Secretary|
7. Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) Committee:
- To catalyzes awareness about the rights of intellectual property (IP) owners and regulates through by-laws or otherwise by the professional practice, etiquette, conduct and discipline of the Members.
- To govern the handling of inventions, copyright works, and other intellectual property made by individuals involved in educational, research, clinical and other activities of Hospitals and other constituent Institutes.
- To promote development of infrastructural facilities for registration of intellectual property by facilitating the improvement of legal, institutional and administrative framework.
Table 5: Composition of IPR Committee
|2||Deputy Director Research||Member|
|3||Professor, SVDU||2-3 Members|
|4||Senior Faculty, SVDU||Member Secretary|
8. Academic Integrity Panel (AIP):
8.1 Institutional Academic Integrity Panel (IAIP)
- The IAIP shall follow the principles of natural justice while deciding about the allegations of plagiarism against the student, faculty, researcher and staff member.
- The IAIP shall have the power to assess the level of plagiarism and recommend penalty accordingly.
- The IAIP after investigation shall submit its report with the recommendation on penalties to be imposed to the SVAIP within a period of 45 days from the date of receipt of complaint/initiation of the proceedings.
Table 6: IAIP of SBKSMI & RC
|1||Dean, SBKSMI & RC, SVDU||Chairman|
|2||Professor, SBKSMI & RC, SVDU||Member|
|3||Professor, KMSDCH, SVDU||Member|
Table 7: IAIP of KM Shah Dental College and Hospital
|2||Director, DoM, SVDU||Member|
|3||Professor, KMSDCH, SVDU||Member|
Table 8: IAIP of Department of Pharmacy
|1.||Principal, DoP, SVDU||Chairman|
|2.||Professor, DOM, SVDU||Member|
|3.||Asst. Professor, DoP, SVDU||Member|
Table 9: IAIP of Department of Management
|1.||Principal, DoM, SVDU||Chairman|
|2.||Professor, SBKSMI & RC, SVDU||Member|
|3.||Asst. Professor, DoM, SVDU||Member|
Table 10: IAIP of Sumandeep Nursing College
|1.||Principal, SNG, SVDU||Chairman|
|2.||Asst. Professor, DoM, SVDU||Member|
|3.||Associate Professor, SNG, SVDU||Member|
Table 11: IAIP of College of Physiotherapy
|1.||Principal, CoP, SVDU||Chairman|
|2.||Professor, SBKSMI & RC,SVDU||Member|
|3.||Associate Professor, CoP, SVDU||Member|
8.2 SV Academic Integrity Panel (SVAIP)
Function: To resolve the allegation of plagiarism issue on the report of the Institutional academic Integrity Panel.
Table 12: Composition of SV Academic Integrity Panel
|1||Dean/Senior Academician of SVDU||Chairman|
|2||Senior Academician other than Chairman, to be nominated by the Vice-Chancellor.||Member|
|3||one member nominated by the Vice-Chancellor form outside the Sumandeep Vidyapeeth||Member|
|4||A person well versed with anti-plagiarism to be nominated by the Vice-Chancellor.||Member Secretary|
9. Publication Guideline committee:
Function: To resolve any misconduct in the research work/Book/Book chapter Publications
Table 13: Publication Guideline committee
|2||Professor from SBKSMI & RC,SVDU||Two Members|
|3||Professor from KMSDCH,SVDU||Two Members|
|4||Professor from DoP, SVDU||Two members|
|5||Professor from CoP, SVDU||Two members|
|6||Professor from SNC, SVDU||Two members|
|7||Dy. Registrar, Academics||Member secretary|
Research Conduct (Guidelines and Procedures)
- Research Cell executes all research related activities on behalf of Research Advisory Council of the Institution.
- Research Cell identifies the thrust areas of research in consultation of respective institutions. Research Cell circulates the notification to HoIs regarding annual budgeting to be utilized for various research activities including research projects under Research Grant & Funding Committee (SVRGFC), for all the researchers and faculty of each constituent institute.
- Faculty and researchers shall design their research proposals in the prescribed format and to be submitted it to Research Cell.
- Proposal is forwarded to Research Fund Allocation and Review Committee (RFARC) for review by internal expert of the subject.
- Internal expert of the institute review the proposal and submit its remarks to the RFARC. The improvised/amended proposals will be discussed for further review and the process will continue till it fulfill all the required criteria (Grading sheet), considered for internal funding through SVRGFC.
- The principal investigator has to obtain the SVIEC/IAEC approval/ NOC before commencement of the research work. For ethical clearance, the Principal Investigator (PI) shall submit the application and proposal copy to SVIEC/IAEC through HRRP of his/her institute. After Ethical approval, researcher can precede further to initiate the research as per study design.
- The PI should commence his/her project from the mentioned date of the proposal and, complete it within stipulated time period.
- Research Cell officials regularly meet PIs and faculty for motivation and solving operational problem.
Stepwise procedure for Research Conduct involving Human/Animal subjects/in vitro studies (From Project Submission to completion):
Procedure for obtaining Human Ethics committee:
All proposals shall be submitted via proper channel i.e. forwarded through HOD and HOI in the prescribed application form as per SOP of SVIEC to Institutional Ethical Unit of Research Cell.
- All relevant documents shall be enclosed with application.
- The PI will submit fourteen hard copies and one soft copy of the proposal along with the application and documents in prescribed format, duly signed by the PI and Co- Investigators/Collaborators to the HRRP. The HRRP will review the proposal with details in context to methodology, feasibility, ethical aspect and other. If any weakness will be found, HRRP will ask PI to make correction and resubmit within the time limit. With the correction, PI will re-submit to HRRP will forward the proposal with their comments on ethical aspect and send to SVIEC for approval.
- The office of SVIEC will acknowledge the receipt and indicate any modification,
- Based on HRRP, comments the SVIEC will take it as―minimal risk or a―high risk proposal. The minimal risk proposals will be granted permission without waiting for full ethics committee.
- All high risk research, clinical trials and PhD research will be discussed in full ethics committee. The frequency of meeting of SVIEC is once in three months. In this meeting minimal risk research proposal also discussed and granted permission.
- The decision of IEC will be communicated in writing. If the revision is to be made, the revised document in required number of copies shall be submitted within a stipulated period of time as specified in the communication.
- A draft proposal is reviewed by SVIEC followed by evaluation by a team of subject expert. Comments will be given to PI and asked to re-submit with answers of all queries.
- The detailed procedure and format of SVIEC proposal is available in this research compendium.
Procedure for obtaining Animal Ethical Clearance:
- All proposals should be submitted in the prescribed application form, copies of which will be available from the Member Secretary.
- All relevant documents with check list should be enclosed with application form,
- Fifteen copies of the proposal along with the application and documents in prescribed format duly signed by the Principal Investigator and Co‐investigators/Collaborators should be forwarded by the Head of the Department to the IAEC. Sixteen additional copies for proposals for experiment on large animals will be required for forwarding it to CPCSEA.
The Member Secretary will acknowledge the receipt and indicate any lacunae. Missing information should be supplied within two weeks.
Procedure for obtaining informed Consent:
- The subjects should be aware about him/her participation in any research study,
- The PI has to explain complete information to participants about research, in the format illustrated in participant information sheet. If participant understands and agrees to sign inform consent voluntarily, the PI will proceed.
- For that, the subject needs to get signed in proposed informed consent form and principal investigator should provide sufficient time to think to get enroll in the study prior to signed informed consent form.
- A copy of informed consent form should be provided to subjects for reference of research study enrollment.
- An informed consent form should be signed by PI, in front of subject and also need to mentioned date.
Procedure for obtaining informed assent:
- The subjects should be aware about him/her participation in any research study,
- The PI has to explain complete information to participants about research, in the format. Illustrated in participant information sheet. If participant understands and agrees to sign inform assent voluntarily, the PI will proceed.
- For that, the subject needs to get signed in proposed informed assent form and principal investigator should provide sufficient time to think to get enroll in the study prior to signed informed assent form.
- A copy of informed assent form should be provided to subjects for reference of research study enrollment.
- An informed assent form should be signed by PI, in front of subject and also need to mentioned date.
|Calendar year||Title||Authors||Institute||Journal||Year; Volume; issue; Page No.||Indexing||Impact Factor (Clarivate Analytics)||doi||link|
Ashim Kumar Sen
Avinash K. Seth
|Department of Pharmacy||Life Sciences||2020;3(1):555-560||√||√||3.644||https://doi.org/10.1080/0886022X.2016.1254659||https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/0886022X.2016.1254659\
Ashim Kumar Sen
Avinash K. Seth
|Department of Pharmacy||Life Sciences||2020;3(1):555-560||√||√||√||3.644||https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lfs.2020.118155|
Ashim Kumar Sen
Avinash K. Seth
|Department of Pharmacy||Life Sciences||2020;3(1):555-560||√||√||3.644|