EVIDENCE BASED EDUCATION SYSTEM (EBES)
AN INNOVATIVE EDUCATION SYSTEM – FIRST IN INDIA BY OUR UNIVERSITY
- The principle goal of education is to create men and women who are capable of doing new things, not simply repeating what other generations have done; men and women who are creative, inventive, and discoverers, who can be critical and verify, and not accept, everything they are offered.” This was the observation of a French Psychologist Jean Piaget (1896-1980).
- Concerns about methods and results of education are not new. It is being felt since long that the present system of education is largely producing individuals incapable of thinking for themselves and making appropriate decisions.
- Technology has made it possible to access information about researches immediately after publication, much before they find a place in the text book. Every bit of information is available at hand, regardless of its quality, reliability and applicability. It is left entirely on the person accessing it to identify the usable piece and discard the other.
- Educationists today have a different role to play as guides and students have more skills to learn. Just having good basic knowledge of one’s’ own subject doesn’t suffice; they also have to acquire skills of effective communication, critical evaluation & application to be able to derive relevant conclusions and apply them in tackling with practical day to day problems.
- The teaching which is aimed at incorporating skills of gathering evidence, ability to critically appraise and apply in the right context is named ‘evidence based practice’ (EBP) and incorporation of same principle in all aspects of teaching and learning process to impart the process more perfect is Evidence Based Education System (EBES).
- To prepare doctor/dentist/medical care provider of first contact,capable of functioning independently in both urban and rural environment with special attention to diagnosis prevention of same by being abreast to scientifically proven empirical evidence.
- Provide education that allows hands-on-experience both in hospital as well as in community setting with systematic evidence based approach,educational experience that emphasizes health rather than only disease with outcome-based education as a goal.
- Inculcate the technique of reasoning,ability to understand the evidence,the nature and hierarchy of the evidence,critically choose the best evidence and apply it in clinical practice.
- To provide the doctor/dentists/health care provider who will believe in the value of life-long learning and value the evidence in making clinical decisions over opinion. EBES can lead to better skill and knowledge which ultimately will benefit society.
- The innovative practice of Evidence Based Education System was introduced in Sumandeep Vidyapeeth from the year 2007.This type of education system is followed in many international medical universities successfully.In India,this system is followed only in Sumandeep Vidyapeeth.
- EBD/EBM/EB Physiotherapy/EBN/EB Pharmacy as a subject in UG curriculum Evidence based subject is taught in all constituent colleges.It is introduced in undergraduate teaching from the first year itself to inculcate culture of critical thinking,research and lifelong learning.Evaluation is done at the end of each academic year for the subject and performance of the student is graded.
- Teachers training and professional skills development on Evidence based education system.
- Implementation of Evidence based education in undergraduate as well as post graduate teaching.
- Conferences/symposia/Continuing Education program/workshops are regularly organized on EBES theme.
- Faculty and students are encouraged to conduct research on evidence based subject and education system and to publish the same.
- Faculty enjoys the freedom of implementing the newer teaching technology with consent of appropriate higher authority within the boundaries of statutory councils.
- Stages of implementation of EBES in Sumandeep Vidyapeeth
- Infrastructural upgradation
- Faculty training programs
- Faculties are deputed for advanced training of evidence based subject as well as education system.
- Teachers of this institute are encouraged to attend various enrichment programs.
- Teachers’ training programs are organized regularly by university for skills development.
- Feedback is taken from students regularly for improving teaching system.
- Teaching of Evidenced Based subjects in all the years of study.
- Evidence based education:
- Theory class: All the theory classes are evidence based
- Clinical/practical class:All clinical classes include evidence based exercise.Students are also involved in small group teaching,peer teaching.Various home assignments are also given.
- UG students are encouraged to do research as well as evidence based community health project.
- All PG academic activities like seminar,journal club,role modeling etc.are evidence based.
- Preparation of treatment protocols in all subjects with best available evidence.
- Apply prepared protocols on the local population
- Feedback analysis after application of protocol
- Modify as per the need after feedback analysis
- Update the protocol as and when deemed necessary
- Preparation of treatment protocols for community health problems.
- Evaluate outcome/impact of EBES.